Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thing 5: Flickr photo


Belize read-aloud, originally uploaded by l2hamville.

Blogging this photo is a real victory. I have struggled through a number of steps in the Flickr assignments (Things 5, 6, and 7) for a variety of technical reasons, but at last have been successful.

I am in love with this photo--the colors, the composition, and the story behind it. My colleagues who visited this village in Belize had an amazing experience getting to know the residents and teaching the kids. They were there for about 2 weeks last summer. Notice the impromptu "classroom--" the chairs are actually school desks/ I like the 3 girls sharing 2 chairs. They are best buddies. Also notice the rapt attention, as they listen to the story being read. How could a librarian not love this picture?

Another "backstory:" In seeking permission to use the image, I had to make several inquiries among colleagues to discover who the photographer was. Photo by R. Hammer.

No comments: