Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing 13, complete with bad luck: del.icio.us

Of course, I had to create an account on del.icio.us to bookmark this really good article, This is How we Lost to the White Man, in the May 08 issue (online, of course) of The Atlantic, a rag I've always respected. But I digresss. I was burning to post it for everyone to read and comment on-- get a discussion going about it; my first post on del.icio.us! So I attempt to set up an account. I try 3 times, then another 2 times, and it keeps bumping me. I get messages like, not enough letters, someone has that name (I seriously doubt it) too old (the scrambled letters that you type in at the end when you set up a login), must combine numbers and letters (got that message, I think, for both user name AND password), user name and password are too similar. OMG. I finally get it: I've got some browser bug. I am on a Mac after all, and some apps just can't cope, altho as a longtime Mac/Safari user, I've encountered relatively little of this, until SLL2.0, that is. Maybe using Safari was at the root of my problems at the beginning of the course, when I could not get Google to recognize my login data for Blogger, and I went thru endless loops of getting/setting new passwords only to be locked out, with the message, password does not match. So, given the history, yeah, I'll make Firefox my browser, and, how cool is this? I will import my Safari bookmarks into del.icio.us! Therein lies the tale, and the miseries.

No comments: