Monday, April 21, 2008

Thing 16: Wikis

My first direct experience with a wiki was a few months ago when member Laura D'Elia of the Elementary Independent School Library Association started one for the group and trained us all at our winter meeting. There's been no collaboration from me, however. And not from too many others beyond the first 2 weeks! Pathetic! In honor of SLL 2.0, I got on and did my first posting.

I found the articles that you provided very informative, once again. They helped me round out my knowledge of wikis. Now I feel ready to do a wiki with kids. I love wikis! They are the epitome of social networking because of their collaborative nature.

What I'd like to do with wikis in my library:
  • A joint project where all kids are contributing
  • In-class worksheets that I post and they work on from their laptops. I like the kids sharing answers, so I usually have them do it as a class anyway.
  • Book reviews, linked from the library's web pages.
  • A chatroom for students. Even a chatroom where their participation was required as part of my class.
  • Processing and cataloging policies.

No comments: