Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thing 9. More on RSS.

I did a lot of looking around at RSS without much to show for it. I checked out Google Reader but chose Bloglines to set up an account in. I found Bloglines's search tool the easiest to use in finding feeds. Examples: I put in the search term, "interest rates" and chose a feed from among many (NYT Interest Rates), then did another search, "School Library Journal" and got SLJ Breaking News. Easy! I have added both to my feeds on Bloglines for my real-life needs as I mentioned in my last post. 

I looked at most on the list of recommended links on the assignment page. Comments on a few: I found BlogPulse a waste of time. Why? When I put in "School Library Learning 2.0" as my search term, I got recent stuff on religion in Sci Fi (by a fundamentalist blogger named Jeff the Baptist, from Delaware). Earlier stuff on the thread was more on-topic, but my time just isn't worth this! I did the same search ("School Library Learning 2.0") in Google Reader and had fun reading hits. I felt much more linked to the bloggers. I found Syndic8 wild and woolly. Mustn't forget Suprglu. Really fun. Librarians you'd actually want to hang with outside of work.

No comments: