Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thing 19: LibraryThing

Link to my library in LibraryThing. I actually set up an account in LibraryThing 'round about Thing 5, since I'd heard about it from the MSLA listserv, and was having trouble finding a catalogue record for a particular item in my school library. When I set it up, I even added the LT widget to my blog. Kinda fun.

I searched LibraryThing Talk for discussions about my favorite book, Once and Future King (I lie; one of my faves--who can possibly limit oneself to ONE favorite book??). It was interesting to see how the results of my search (ie., people's responses) actually were linked to the topic in which they'd originally appeared, so you can get a feel for how your book "plays" in a variety of contexts (eg., some of the topics were: What are you reading now?; a particular book group's discussion; 888 [books] for 2008, etc.). In my search results, I liked how search terms (the title) were bolded, except and came up a LOT, and wasn't necessarily a hit. Most interesting comment was about how the theme of the Arthurian legend is that things always get worse; we go from light (things are ok) to dark (bad kharma of seeds sown earlier; can't outrun fate). That's exactly why the story is so tragic and T.H.White's retelling so powerful.

No comments: